The kids are all grown up and independent now. You don’t have to worry about naming guardians for them anymore. However, there are still many questions:
- How do you ensure that your assets will pass on to your children when you are gone?
- If you were incapacitated and require long-term care, how do you ensure that the assets would still be available for your children?
- If you and your spouse were to get divorced, how do you ensure that your spouse’s children from a new marriage would not take away the assets you left for your children?
- If you were to be incapacitated, who would be making medical and financial decisions for you?
- How do you protect your assets from creditor claims?
- How do you utilize your married status to maximize your tax benefits?
There are all important questions that need to be answered and addressed while you are still alive. The last thing you want is to leave a huge mess for your children to deal with when you are gone, or when you have no say because you were incapacitated.
GP Schoemakers, PLLC focus their practice on Estate Planning, Wills and Trusts of all degrees of complexity, Trust, Estate, Probate Administration & Business Entity Formation. They are also available to assist with Uncontested Divorces and Mediation. They serve clients throughout the greater Houston area, including, but not limited to League City, Webster, Clear Lake, Alvin, Dickinson, Pearland, Angleton, Houston, Bellaire, West University, Sugar Land, Missouri City, Richmond, Rosenberg, Katy, Cypress, The Woodlands, Kingwood and throughout Harris County, Fort Bend County, Montgomery County, Brazoria County and Galveston County.